NEWS RELEASE (#2020-03) | PDF version (68KB)
After extensive consultation, the IDBF with the Fédération de Dragon Boat for France (FDB) and the Organising Committee have agreed that this year’s CCWC will not be held in 2020.
The main reason behind this decision is for the health and wellbeing of our athletes. Some of the factors which guided our decision include (but not limited to) the following:
- athletes in most countries are restricted in being able to train as a team and to prepare effectively
- some athletes will be affected by economic pressures due to potential loss of income through shorter work hours or time off without pay
- consideration of vulnerable family members
- the inability to effectively predict what travel restrictions may still be in force
- the volatility in the exchange rate will increase the costs to athletes
The IDBF Executive has been meeting frequently to discuss the COVID-19 situation and held dialogue with national dragon boat federations, race officials, athletes and clubs. The welfare of our race officials, volunteers, supporters and broader stakeholders who face similar family and financial challenges were also discussed.
We hope that this decision will be a relief to many and enable everyone to move forward on other priorities. As the world governing body for dragon boat sport, the health and welfare of the dragon boat community must be at the fore front of any decisions we make.
The feasibility and impacts of moving the Championship is complex and is now being closely considered. The Organising Committee and the City of Aix les Bains are still committed to hosting the Championships in 2021.
We appreciate and thank everyone for their understanding and patience during this time in particular the qualifying clubs, FDB, Organising Committee and Commissions.
For now, it is important that each and every one of us follow the advice of our governments, to do what we can individually, to help to contain the spread of the virus.
Please all take care and stay safe.
IDBF CCWC 2020
International Dragon Boat Federation
See past IDBF news releases on COVID-19.
Subscribe to IDBF News for updates on CCWC2020.